Well I’m almost finished. I have the game running outside a development environment, it saves and loads on starting and quitting and each item has it’s own timer for updating.
Things left to do:
- Make the buttons actually do something
- Test if input is behaving properly (already a couple of issues)
- Get an icon
- Remove placeholder images
- Expand size of game so the buttons don’t take up room
- Balance game, tweak numbers for intended pacing times
I was hoping to post a little more frequently with smaller updates but I have this project spread out through three computers. So the images I do save tend to lose relevance as soon as a switch computers.
Anyways, I’ve got a template button in place now. You can’t see it in the image but when you click on a button it changes colours; in the final version it’ll hopefully just look like it’s being pressed.
Since I’m making a throttling game (or a game that forces you to pace yourself) it’s pretty crucial that I have some kinda of saving system so I started working on that. It’s almost finished actually, I just need to “hook” everything together.
The way I designed the input parsing thing to work is pretty robust, but it allows for some strange combinations. For example, “pick up garbage” will work and “garbage pick up” will also work. “Pick garbage,” “Garbage pick,” are good too. It even works with “Pick up the god damn garbage you sadist.” Yeah that works too!
It’s alive! I got the engine to process and utilize our data correctly. Now we just need to figure out level transitions and the other stuff I mentioned.
Maybe I can get this up for show sometime later today
I got the input processor kinda implemented, it doens’t really work right now but the logic is good. Tomorrow level one will probably be done!
What’s next? Getting the input to actually work, then level transitions. After that it’s the little optional things like music and animation. I don’t care about animation for the prototype but music would be interesting.
Been doing some book keeping lately, like commenting and making spacing look nice a legible. I’ve also been looking over some stuff we wrote earlier and finding some holes and other things that are just unescesarry.
In our original plan we completely forgot to make a list of synonyms for every object we have on the screen. What I mean is, in the first level (which I hope you’ve seen pictures of) we have two objects, a door and a bag. But when we’re coding we refer to these as “Door” and “GarbageBag.” To make it easier we need a list of synonyms for each object.
Currently I only put two for Garbage bag: ‘bag’ and ‘garbage.’ And well door.. That’s just a door.